Table of contents:
Stroke is one of the most common diseases in the world. So, according to the World Health Organization, one in four on Earth will sooner or later face this disease. However, this, far from being the most pleasant meeting, can be avoided.
According to the Public Health Center of the Ministry of Health, 100-110 thousand people are diagnosed with a stroke in Ukraine every year. Moreover, cerebrovascular disease is the country's second leading cause of death. It is important to understand that only a small percentage of people who have had a stroke will be able to return to a fulfilling life.
To reduce the number of strokes, it is very important to follow a number of preventive measures. It is easy and within the power of each of us. After all, prevention is the best that everyone can do for their health in the future.
What is a stroke
A stroke is a sudden violation of blood circulation in the vessels of the brain, which leads to damage to nerve cells. A stroke can be ischemic: when a blood vessel is blocked by a thrombus (air bubble, atherosclerotic plaque); or hemorrhagic: when a cerebral hemorrhage occurs with a rupture of the vessel wall. Ischemic stroke is more common in elderly people, and hemorrhagic - in people 45-65 years old.
Stroke prevention: what to do
A stroke, of course, does not appear on its own. Certain disorders in the human body lead to it, namely:
- hypertension (high blood pressure);
- cerebral aneurysm;
- head trauma;
Risk factors that can trigger the development of a stroke, scientists include:
- suffered myocardial infarction and other diseases of the cardiovascular system;
- chronic stress;
- excess weight;
- passive lifestyle.
If you have one of the above diseases, do not hesitate - you need to see a doctor and start treatment. None of the above conditions will go away on its own, but it can lead to sad consequences.
In addition, for the prevention of stroke, remember the simple rules:
always check the pressure. Hypertension in half of cases is the cause of stroke. And don't ignore the treatment your doctor has prescribed for you;
Important: hypertension is very insidious and can develop without clear signs. Therefore, after 35 years of age, check your blood pressure from time to time, this is very important.
- monitor your body mass index. And if you have excess weight, it is worth getting rid of it;
- eat properly and in a balanced way. You should have a sufficient amount of fruits and vegetables in your diet;
- check your heart health. One of the causes of stroke is heart rhythm problems;
- avoid smoking: both active and passive;
- monitor your cholesterol levels;
- exercise regularly. Correct physical activity will not only help keep the weight at the ideal level, but also strengthen the cardiovascular system;
- try to experience less stress, and if the stressful condition has become chronic, do not hesitate to see a doctor;
- reduce the amount of salt in your diet to 5 grams per day (1 teaspoon).
Take care of yourself and be healthy!